I am pleased to be able to share this amazing video with you. Performed by Erica Herd, Alzheimer’s Blues, is a beautiful and touching depiction of a caregiver and her loved one.
Erica Herd says,
I have written a solo play, “Alzheimer’s Blues,” about my mother, who has Alzheimer’s disease. She was diagnosed in 2010, and I have been and continue to be her caregiver. The play shares our experiences in navigating the comedic, strange, and unknown terrain of Alzheimer’s, mental illness and federal and state bureaucracies. “Alzheimer’s Blues” premiered in June 2013 at Stage Left Studio in NYC and the show has enjoyed numerous subsequent performances.
Our goal is to raise money to cover the costs of rehearsals, performance space, publicity and travel—we are planning to take Alzheimer’s Blues on the road in 2014-15 to as many audiences as possible. We’ll be taking it to festivals as well as trying to bring it to audiences where caregivers of all types can see their experiences through a different lens, hopefully leaving with a reinvigorated perspective.
Please go to WWW.ERICAHERD.COM to donate. You can use your credit card with the secure PAYPAL donate button. No donation is too small and is respectfully appreciated.
Background on the performance
My mother was my original inspiration to write this play. She was an incredibly gifted actress and singer who was struck first by mental illness, then Alzheimer’s, making it impossible for her to continue working at her chosen career. In a diversion from my office job, I have used the skills from my sketch comedy days to explore my family’s experiences with health/procedural dementia. My husband, L.E. Swenson, is the co-author and we strive to find meaning, hope and sanity through humor, storytelling and music.
- Suffering from Alzheimer’s, Ga. man fatally shot (kansas.com)
- Alzheimer’s Volunteers Make a Big Difference. The Maine Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association Says Thank You (dianeatwood.com)
- Caring for the Caregivers: Alzheimer’s Service Grants (representativesueallen.wordpress.com)
- Suffering From Alzheimer’s, Georgia Man Fatally Shot (wctv.tv)
- Suffering from Alzheimer’s, Ga. man fatally shot (sfgate.com)
- Suffering from Alzheimer’s, Ga. man fatally shot (sacbee.com)
- Man suffering from Alzheimer’s fatally shot after knocking on stranger’s door (globalnews.ca)
- Suffering from Alzheimer’s, US man fatally shot (nzherald.co.nz)
- Suffering from Alzheimer’s, Ga. man fatally shot (pottsmerc.com)
- Ga. man suffering from Alzheimer’s fatally shot (TBO.com)